Sunday, February 20, 2011

AMERICA, I SEE YOUR TRUE COLORS SHINING THROUGH AND THEY AREN'T VERY PRETTY!

VIDEO LINK A MUST SEE!(The Raw Truth that Few Want to Hear)
Today is Saturday, January 8, 2011 and two weeks out of a month I devote an hour or two of my time teaching children music at my church. Even though I hate to get up early on Saturday mornings, I must admit that once I get to the rehearsal and I see the smiling faces of the children, I realize that it is worth my effort. As I was making my home from the rehearsal I kept seeing their innocent faces in my mind's eye and found myself marveling once again as I gained a deeper understanding of why the Savior loves children so very much.

After about 30 minutes or so I arrived home with a sigh of relief because I had left my house without eating breakfast and I felt as though I would be overcome by hunger pains; but before I could make my way to the kitchen I turned on the T.V. in my living room so that I could listen to the news while preparing lunch. To my horror and dismay, I discovered that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (a forty year old Democratic Senator who represents Congressional District 8 in Tucson, Arizona) and 19 others had literally been gunned down at an event (by gunman --- Jared Loughner) that Gabrielle (affectionately known as Gabby) was hosting at a nearby Safeway supermarket. The event, held outside was an opportunity for constituents to meet Congresswoman Giffords and talk about any concerns they had related to the federal government.

Chief Federal Judge, Justice John Roll (63, who had served on the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona since 1991) also in attendance, and a nine year-old child were also shot and killed along with four other unnamed victims, putting the death toll at six. 
Twenty people in total were shot and six killed, leaving Senator Gabby Giffords and 13 others clinging to life by a thread while being cared for at nearby Arizona Hospitals.
When asked by Gabby's father who was rushing to his daughter's bedside, if his daughter Gabby had any enemies, he responded by saying, "Yes, the entire Tea Party!"

It seems that this incident was not an isolated one since the Senator's office had been targeted on numerous occasions by fanatic extremists who disagreed with her political views. Their hatred was fueled even more when it became publically known that she supported President Obama's Health Care Policies and her vote reflected this support. The reason all of this angers me so is because for seemingly months on end I watched Americans tolerate the antics of the Tea Party as they held up signs so offensive (at rallies) until at times I wondered if we had retrogressed back to the Jim Crow era. Call me naive if you want to but you could not have paid me to believe that my America, the place that I have lived in all of my life would ever condone this kind prejudice, intolerance and hatred! Suddenly I was slapped in the face by truth as I began to see a reality through the eyes of Dr. King whom like other Americans, hoped and wished conditions like these didn't exist and would not continue to prevail in our society.
When former President Jimmy Carter exposed America's hypocrisy in news interviews by informing Americans that the reason people opposed President Obama to such a degree was because he was a Black man. The media immediately began to discount his claims by stating, "Well we must realize the President Carter is old and comes from an era and a time that has tainted his views and we don't really need to take what he is saying so seriously!" And silently I thought to myself, "If African Americans had sponsored rallies and held up signs (like people do in current day Tea Party meetings) that encourage people to kill the President of the United States and anyone who supports his policies, they would have been jailed, hounded by the FBI and/or killed. Oh!!! So you don't believe me, well, I tell you what, this is exactly what happened during the Civil Rights movement when Dr. King and others like him courageously fought for Civil Rights; countless African Americans were jailed, beaten and even murdered -- including Dr. King.

Brothers and sisters, "it is an immutable law that whatsoever a man, soweth that shall he also reap" or to put it another way, "If you sow the wind you will reap the whirlwind." Hosea 8:7.

While it is true that America is known as "The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave," a place where people should be able to express their views and enjoy equal rights, we need to do some real soul searching when these expressions encourage injustice, intolerance, violence and downright hatred! The whirlwind that we are now reaping was sown by every person that held up a sign at a Tea Party event that said, "Kill the President, and Let's take back America because we don't want a Black man running it!" And the list goes on...
Even though some Republicans have denounced today's shootings and claim to oppose violent Tea Party antics, still it is no secret that the party plans to use the new Congress (now empowered by new Tea Party elected officials) to mount a guerrilla campaign aimed at destroying Barack Obama's healthcare reforms, slashing the federal budget and preparing the ground for his defeat in the 2012 White House race. I know you are thinking in your mind, "Angel isn't this commentary kind of radical?" And my answer is "Damn straight!" Anytime an innocent woman who has devoted her entire life to public service, a Federal Judge (whom by the way has done the same), an innocent child and other law abiding citizens are gunned down in the streets simply because they were at a rally, "Yes, I am outraged!!!"

Sheriff Clarence Dubnik was exactly right when today, he stated in a press conference that Arizona has become the Mecca of prejudice and bigotry in the United States and that Tea Party antics consistently highlighted by the media feeds the minds of unstable extremist across the country -- with unbelievable disastrous results like these. When Cain slew Able (his brother) out of jealousy the Creator immediately asked Cain, "Where is your brother?" Cain immediately responded by saying, "I don't know, I am not my brother's keeper!" The Creator immediately replied, "Cain, what have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground." Genesis 4:10

While it may be true that the shooter and those who conspired with him to commit this heinous crime will be held accountable, it is also true that everyone one in Arizona and across the country who sowed seeds of hatred, intolerance, injustice and violence in previous months at Tea Party events will also have to face the Creator one day, with hands stained by the blood of the people who were innocently wounded and violently killed today in Tucson, Arizona!
by Angel Mason, Global Author


Angel Mason is one of America's most talked about Civil Rights Activists and HIV Advocates. He is an extraordinary poet and writer who is known for his breakthrough revolutionary book, Love Won't Let Me Be Silent, that is becoming a testament for many gays and lesbians struggling with their sexuality and the need to come out to their family and friends. What started out as a self-published nonfiction book has now become a literary phenomenon consistently earning him numerous literary nominations; while at the same time, gaining a place of reverence in the hearts and minds of millions of readers -- both men and women worldwide.


Terry Angel Mason is also the author of the BEST SELLER, LOVE WON'T LET ME BE SILENT - SOLD TODAY IN BOOKSTORES WORLDWIDE.




No comments:

Post a Comment